Thursday, December 20, 2012

Santa Clause

I have to start out by saying I am new to this blogging thing. I wanted to start because I love creating, baking, a little if everything and I want to share all of that. I love sharing what I know how to do and helping and teaching others to do the same things.

So now on to the good stuff....

A few weeks ago I went to the Jubilee of Trees, and I have to say, loved it! There were some of the most beautiful trees there. I went with a good friend and my 3 yr old grandson. He had a blast. We decorated cookies, made some sand art, and most exciting was we saw Santa Clause! Yay!

Of course we had to get pictures. Now I have this awesomely cute picture of my grandson but nothing to do with it. I wanted to display it til after Christmas then scrapbook it later.

Thinking....thinking...thinking....

Got it! Dollar store picture frame to decorate. Get the frame home and it is already a cute black frame so I think lets just add some glitter because who doesn't love glitter. Well that didn't turn out so well. I didn't like the way it looked so I sanded it down. I remembered seeing this resistance painting technique using Vaseline. I painted red over the black frame and voila.... perfect frame for the picture!




Since the frame was already painted black I could skip right to the addition of Vaseline. I spread it liberally in spots over the frame. Do not cover the whole frame, just kinda make it splotchy on there. 
Next I painted the red paint over the Vaseline, you need to do this carefully as not to spread the Vaseline around more or you won't end up with very much color on your second paint color. 
When the red paint had dried I took a rag and wiped the frame down removing the Vaseline. 

I ended up with more red than I wanted so I sanded just a bit and then went over the whole thing with Delta Home Decor Gel Wood Stain

No comments:

Post a Comment